Ancient Ayurvedacharyas identified and recognised different contagious diseases acquired during sexual intercourse by both men and women. Each Venereal Disease they found out had specific reasons and features.
Upadamsha or Syphilis is the most common of these. It causes the eruption of lesions on the penis, and can be classified into five different categories, with the characters of Vataja, Pittaja, Kaphaja, Sannipataja and Raktaja.
If a person has blackish lesions accompanied by severe pain he has Vataja Upadamsha.
Raktaja Upadamsha is similar to vataja but the lesions in this case tend to bleed.
In Pittaja Upadamsha the patient has yellowish lesions accompanied with burning sensation, later these develop into pus oozing lesions.
Kaphaja Updamsha is characterised by skin coloured lesions with swelling and itchiness.
In Sannipataja Upadamsha, the lesions that have mixed symptoms.
The reasons that causethese infections are :-
- Abrasions caused by any handling
- Injury caused due to scratches by nails
- Injury caused due to teeth/bites
- Unhygienic conditions of the sexual organs
- Excessive indulgence in Sex
- Infection transmitted through sexual intercourse(from vaginal infections)
- Improper/unethical sexual behaviour